Ireland is home to some of the most breath taking scenery in Europe, making it a firm favourite with film and TV location scouts. Full of rich heritage, from its ancient ruins and rugged coastlines, to its many National Parks and mountain top views, you’ll feel as if you’ve been transported to another world.
How to get there
Depending on where you’re travelling from and where you decide to go, you have a number of options for crossing the Irish Sea and St George’s Channel.
Holyhead to Dublin
Pembroke to Rosslare
Liverpool to Dublin
Cairnryan to Larne
Cairnryan to Belfast
Liverpool to Belfast
Holyhead to Dublin
Fishguard to Rosslare
Places to stay:
There are so many great sites in Ireland that it’s well worth looking online and finding one that’s ideal for you, whether that be one that’s pet friendly, quiet and secluded, or a more of a holiday park. Below are a handful of sites that have been well reviewed by people who have actually stayed at them.
Wave Crest Caravan Park – Main Ring of Kerry Road, Caherdaniel, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Blarney Caravan and Camping Park – Stone View, Blarney, Co. Cork, Ireland
Fossa Caravan and Camping Park – Fossa, Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Nagle’s Doolin Camping and Caravan Park – Ballaghaline, Doolin, Co. Clare, Ireland
Carra Caravan and Camping Park – Belcarra, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland
Hillfoot Caravan Site and Camping – 119 Legavallon Road, Dungiven, Dungiven, Co. Londonderry, Northern Ireland, BT47 4QN
Causeway Coast Holiday Park – 21 Clare Road, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT54 6DB
Film and TV Shows shot in Ireland
The dramatic landscape of both Northern & Southern Ireland have proved very popular with Hollywood, providing the backdrop for many famous films and TV shows. Ballinesker Beach was the setting for the D-Day landings in the epic opening 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, and Skellig Michael Island makes an appearance in the latest instalment of the Star Wars saga, The Last Jedi.
So many times has Ireland been featured on the silver screen that you’ll actually find companies that provide
tours of famous locations, with the Game of Thrones Tours proving particularly popular.
Here’s just a handful of the other big movie titles and where some of their scenes were filmed:
- Braveheart (Bective Abbey, County Meath; Curragh Plains, County Kildare; Trim Castle, County Meath)
- Saving Private Ryan (Ballinesker Beach, Curracloe Strand)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Cliffs of Moher, County Clare; Lemon Rock, County Kerry)
- The Princess Bride (Cliffs of Moher, County Clare)
- The Italian Job (Kilmainham Jail in Dublin)
- Barry Lyndon (Cahir Castle, County Tipperary; Kells, County Meath)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi (Skellig Michael island)
- Game of Thrones (discovernorthernireland.com/explore/game-of-thrones-guided-tours/)
Travel Guide Northern & Southern Ireland
- Blarney Castle
- Cliffs of Moher
- The Giant’s Causeway
- Killarney National Park
- Wild Atlantic Way
- Trinity College Library Dublin